Tuesday, September 16, 2008

He knows...

People keep asking me what our plans are. I'm a bit sick of that question because I don't have a definite answer to give them, and when I think about it too hard, it freaks me out a little. We aren't planning to live with my parents forever, but until our financial situation changes (i.e. Michael gets a job), we are going to continue here.

When I take my fearful eyes off of the unknown future, our life is actually very blessed and even sometimes a bit comical. My mom no longer dries my clothes when the washer is done (I think I could supply someone 6 inches shorter and 20 lbs. lighter than me with an entire wardrobe of my shrunken clothing). I have been cooking in a microwave oven, electric skillet and toaster oven. When I use them at the same time (which is more often than not), I have to put the skillet on the floor to avoid blowing a fuse. It is at these times, when I am squatted down over sauteeing chicken, that I try to pretend that we are camping, or that I am an Indian squaw or a cave woman... :) Lacy asked for a kitten for her birthday and, being the animal lover that I am, I said, "No". The next day, Lauren (my little sister) found a stray kitten in the yard, adopted her, and named her Elsie... and Lacy got her kitten... kind of. We were able to purchase some couches from a consignment furniture store in Atlanta and though they are crammed down here with the bow-flex, treadmill, entertainment center, home-schooling bookcase, computer desk, table and chairs, buffet and kitchenette, it really does kind of resemble an apartment. Oops, I almost forgot, Lacy's dresser is in here, too - there isn't any more room in the children's room.

Speaking of the children's room, it's been quite a challenge for me to entertain Lacy and Isaac when they are done homeschooling and Thomas is only half done, so I usually tell them to play in their room. Should I feel guilty about them playing in their windowless (albeit well-lit) room for 2 hours? With the conglomeration of children's toys crammed in one uni-sex room, I never know what I will find upon entering. Isaac (hot-natured as he is) has taken to layering a short sleeved tee over a long sleeved one and shouting, "I believe I can fly" while jumping off anything high enough to actually jump off of. Lacy has only played dress-up once since May (she misses her girl-friends so much) but she has taken a great liking to building with Lincoln Logs and playing G.I. Joe. Oh, and the Legos... all of the Legos. Thomas loves Legos. He and Jacob (my brother) play with them for hours! I am so thanful for the creativity they encourage, but have you ever stepped barefoot on Legos on a concrete floor in the middle of the night when you were just sneaking in to take a peek of your peacefully sleeping children?

All in all, we're doing pretty well. I know we have so much to be thankful for. (Is it true that it is no longer incorrect English to end a sentence in a preposition?) Our car's ac has limped and lasted through the summer. Emily bought me the prettiest swimsuit ever when I desperately needed one. Everyone has been relatively healthy - no trips to the ER. Michael took the Bar. Thomas' home-school material is a huge blessing! My parents have an awesome pool that we have used almost daily. My Grandmother took us to Dollywood for a couple of days; don't knock it until you've been there - it was really fun! We've been to the Blue Ridge mountains to visit with great friends twice in the past month. And though we have absolutely no idea what's next, when I take my eyes off of what's in front of me and lift them up to heaven, I know that we're going to be o.k.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Adams Family said...

Oh, Erin! I'm so glad you've decided to blog! I'm way better at this than facebook, and I'm so excited to be able to keep in touch. Gracie misses Lacey so much! She would be so happy to hear from her. They were so cute together. You have a good attitude about your situation, keep your chin up! There's bound to be big blessings at the end of such a difficult road.

November 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree with the Legos comment. They are such a blessing and have been the one toy that the children have never tired of. And they are extremely painful to step on when checking the children at night. ;P

December 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home